![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||
![]() |
Media Releases from members of Sources.
To submit a news release, use this form. Galloway: `This idiotic ban shames Canada′March 20, 2009Respect MP George Galloway today vowed to use "all means at my disposal" to challenge the decision by Canada′s pro-war, conservative immigration minister, Jason Kenny, to refuse him entry to the country to give a series of speeches.Galloway is this afternoon exploring with organisers of his speaking tour and with legal advisors avenues to challenge the decision, which he brands "irrational, inexplicable and an affront to Canada′s good name". Galloway was not informed of the decision until after it had been given to journalists. The grounds provided by a spokesperson for Mr Kenny for the ban are that Galloway′s opposition to the deployment of Nato troops in Afghanistan make him "inadmissible" to Canada. Galloway says: "This decision, gazetted in Rupert Murdoch′s Sun, is a very sad day for the Canada we have known and loved – a bastion of the freedoms that supporters of the occupation of Afghanistan claim to be defending. "This has further vindicated the anti-war movement′s contention that unjust wars abroad will end up consuming the very liberties that make us who we are. "This may be a rather desperate election ploy by a conservative government reaching the end of line, or by a minister who has not cottoned on to the fact that the George Bush era is over. "All right thinking Canadians, whether they agree with me over the wisdom of sending troops to Afghanistan or not, will oppose this outrageous decision. "On a personal note – for a Scotsman to be barred from Canada is like being told to stay away from the family home. "This is not something I′m prepared to accept." For more information contact: Kevin Ovenden Phone: 020 7219 2874 Cell: 07983 360 874 Website: www.georgegalloway.com/ Subject Headings and Related Resources:
|